This week I have learned just how much is possible in a three hour fifteen minute academic class.
I am teaching a summer school class titled "Bridge to Integrated Mathematics II." This class is an attempt to push a group of students that sometimes gets overlooked, the students who are not quite ready for honors but that need a push in mathematics. My ten amazing students have signed up to come to math class over the summer for nineteen days for over three hours a day to learn about linear, exponential, and quadratic functions as well as some fundamentals of Geometry. Their reward...getting promoted to sophomore level math for their freshman year. Doesn't that sound like a fun summer activity?
Anyway...
In a time when the media bashes our schools' ability to teach and our students' attention spans and motivation, I have seen students focus in for THREE HOUR math classes with only two five minute breaks to breath, and then go home to do an hour and a half of homework. I have seen students make connections, solve problems, get creative with math, and struggle with both their social identity and some complicated mathematics concepts. Next week the students will deal with transitioning to a new teacher for a new Geometry unit while I go on vacation (yes I feel bad but it was already planned and couldn't be moved). This will provide new challenges for them. But am I worried? NO!
I am convinced that these students are locked, are motivated, and will succeed in mastering some real hard math concepts this summer. Theses students have re-energized me and re-motivated me as a teacher through their hard work, and I cannot wait to see what comes of their high school years. I am expecting very great things.
That is just some of what I learned this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment